October 2019 Minutes (Port Stanley Minor Hockey)

PrintOctober 2019 Minutes

PSMHA MINUTES

Date: October 15 2019, 630pm at the Pierside Pub 

  • Motion to start meeting – Kelly Savage and Alex Russell

Approval of Past Minutes- September Minutes – Alex Russell and seconded by Kelly Savage

Attendees: Craig Sim, Alex Russell, Rick Lalonde, Joe Hentz, Margaret Powell, Shelley Boyes, Jean Devine, Kelly Savage 

Regrets: Scott Bate, Ryan Adams, Shane MacPherson, Janet Wilson, Greg Graham

Registrar Report:


Directors Notes:

Margaret- Director of Local League

- Port Convenor - Tim Ross

- Coaches need to come to LMLL rep to change games – shouldn’t be working directly with the other coaches

- Novice / Minor Novice had a scheduling meeting to book their games

               Standards of Play rules

  • Gate / Time should be tracking and make coach aware when they hit the 8th minute

  • Player leaves ice when 8th minute is assessed, another player sits penalty

  • Gate crew should flag the player with a GE101

  • Document to be posted in the Ref Room and gate box

Regional Championship update

  • Each league will run one championship April 4 & 5 in Leamington 

    • Novice/Atom

    • Peewee/Bantam

    • Midget

  • Top team from each league – 3 team championship tournament / series

  • Ideally run as a tournament – Looking for centers who might have late ice who would be willing to help

  • LMLL Executive will be involved in running and supporting with volunteers

  • Gate Fees will be in effect

  • There may be a cost for teams to enter

Gate Update 

  • Selling Gate passes ($40 / 10 games, or $20 / 10 games)

  • Collected $1070 to date

  • Lori & Lynn are doing a fantastic job managing the team

Silver Stick Pins Ordered

  • 4 teams are currently planning to attend

  • Sourced and ordered 500 pins that are targeted to arrive before the first tournament

  • Plan to sell extras at gate as a fundraising effort

  • Action Item: pins bought by the board to sell as a fundraising tactic at the beginning of the season.  


Sponsorship Thank You

  • Handed out to sponsors thank you cards with the sponsorship paperwork for tournament and team included

  • Optimist $1000 donation – $800 towards a team and $200 towards the tournament. We have agreed to sell chocolate bars for them again at the tournament or broomball. 

  • Can we do some social media recognition of team sponsors? 

  • Atom LL had some companies interested in sponsors did we follow up on this?


Craig- Director of Coaching:

  • Need more coaches at the IP level 

Shelley- Director of Tournament and Events:

  • Trying to recruit volunteers for the tournament 

Ryan - Director of Development:

Rick- Director of Sponsorship:

GT’s have agreed to a three-year team sponsorship

Port Stanley Optimist – agreed to a 1-year sponsorship, they have $800 for a team and $200 towards the tournament (thanks Margaret)

Wellington St Family Dentistry- have agreed to a two-year sponsorship

Port Stanley Lioness- they have decided to a three-year sponsorship as well as give $200 towards the tournament (thanks Shelley)  

Sponsorship bars- ordered and expected within 2 weeks

Pop up Banners- Alex to deliver to arena to be inspected and then add sponsors to it

Frosters Sponsorship – Both Peewee teams and one Bantam team have signed up.  Next step is to order the crests for the jerseys

Greenlane Community Fund- We have been given the full amount asked for, approx. $20,000. Towards skill development and equipment for the younger players

Joe – Director of I/P-

  • 40 IP players have ben split into 2 “teams” and 16 pre-school 

Jean – Treasurer Report:

  • On the treasurer’s report does anyone have concerns if we split fundraising and sponsorship money?

  • Board does not agree to allowing the treasurer to send out E-transfers at this time


Shane-OMHA and Shamrock Representative:

Greg- Director of Equipment:

NEW BUSINESS

  1. West Lorne Atom team information:

  • They only had 10 players sign up for Atom hockey

  • To make a team they made it a rep team so they wouldn’t lose anyone to 3.5s.  

  • The team is a mix of higher end (last few cuts of AAA) players and players that are new to hockey.

  • They were beat badly in their first game and those rep level players are exploring their options elsewhere.

  • Some (5) of the remaining players live in the Dutton area and are very interested in coming to Port.  

  • Parents have been bombarding our phones/email desperately looking for a place to play.    

  • We have a large 15 skater atom roster, if we take the 5 from Dutton, we will have 2 smaller teams of 10.  

  • You cannot AP from Novice.  

  • We can retain our Atom rep team and still accommodate these kids


Motion submitted by Kelly: “to create a second Atom LL team, provided we have a firm commitment from 10 skaters.  The commitment can be shown from NEW players with a deposit of $200. And from existing players by an email by Oct 18th at 9pm”, seconded by Jean.  Motioned carried with a vote of 5:2.  



  1. Message from Alex 

  2. refs for Midget and Bantam, did we decide on two or three?

  • Two refs will be scheduled going forward

  1. Any update on the boundary/amalgamation discussion?



Important Dates:


October 23

Minor Novice season begins (ends Mar 11)

October 25-26th

Team photographs

November 1-3

Port Stanley Memorial Atom LL Tournament

December 3

LMLL Scheduling meeting (Dec 4- Jan 25)

January 15

Novice full ice implementation

January 28

LMLL Playoff Round 1 (Jan 29-Feb 23)

February 9

Hockey Day in Canada

February 25

LLML Playoff round 2 (Feb 26 -Mar 31)


Social Networking
Follow Us On
Visit Port Stanley Minor Hockey on Facebook
Poll
  • What Is Your Favourite Canadian Hockey Team?
    71 total votes
Quick Links
Manage Subscriptions
Signup to receive email or text messages for the teams you want to follow.
Printed from psmha.com on Wednesday, October 20, 2021 at 9:11 AM